Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Faux Sneaux Flakes

As a person who always seems to get scammed out of a good birthday (November 20th) with one of those combined birthday/Christmas gifts, I know how poor Thanksgiving feels to be overlooked every year. But this year, I have to say "Sorry Sucka!!!!" to Thanksgiving (well, the decorating part at least) to make way for some fun, wintry Christmas decor. That's right kiddos, I'm startin' early. And what's the best kind of seasonal decor? The FREE kind.


Last year I showed you how to make 6 point and (those non-anatomically correct) 8 point snowflakes, and I'm back again with a more detailed tutorial. Because, 1) I've misplaced most of my flakes from last year and have to stock up again, 2) I've been getting a TON of google search hits for paper flakes, and 3) cuz it's cheap as all get out and don't we all like that? Yes, I thought you would agree. See, that's why we're friends. Cheap people unite!Here's how ya do it...

Take a plain ol piece of printer paper (8.5x11")


...and fold it in half.


On the folded side, find your center mark...


...by folding it in half again and pinching the bottom corner.


Just pinch the corner, like this (see on the lower right?)...


I drew a little line so you can see where the center mark is...


Now fold the bottom corner up from that center point so that your bottom right corner is now pointing up near the top left corner


Press down to create a fold.


Then do the same with your lower left corner.
Fold that up to meet the top right edge.


Then fold that in half.

It will look like this...


Now you'll want to trim the excess.
See that short piece in there? You want to cut off everything that's past that edge.


Like this...


So you're left with the triangle piece (on the left in the pic below).
You can toss the extra bit that's on the right


Now draw your design. Try not to cut to far into the smallest angle (over there on the left in the picture below) because that will be the center of your flake. If you cut to far in, it will tend to fold in on itself. Keeping the center in tack will give you a strong flake. That's an oxymoron... but it's true.


I penciled in the areas that will be cut away.


Then cut, cut cut.


Once it's cut, slowly and carefully unfold the paper.



Be sure to press down on the seems as you open it.
It tends to want to fold back up on it's own.


Once it's open, you can place each flake in between the pages of a big, heavy book to get them super flat.


Then string them along a piece of fishing line or floss across the ceiling or tape them to your window.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Wondering what designs I made to get the flakes in the collage pic up top?
Well wonder no more!
Here's the folded, cut piece (above) along with the open design (below)...















Now that I've completely overloaded you with paper cutting, go make some flakes and decorate!

Looking for a very inexpensive Christmas/Hanukkah/Holiday gift? 
Check out my Etsy shop for custom printable posters starting at just $5!

bontempsbeignet.etsy.com


40 comments:

Kelly Howard said...

Spent an HOUR making them, lol! LOVE IT, thanks!

liz @ bon temps beignet said...

Hahaha! Thanks Kelly! I've definitely gotten carried away before and spent *hours* making dozens of flakes. It's addictive!

emily @ the happy home said...

GORGEOUS! so happy you re-posted. this is a must-do for our house this year. yankee parents are visiting & need *some* form of snow.

Brooke said...

Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh...I can not wait to make some freaking flakes!!! These are amazing!
www.inside-outdesign.blogspot.com

Bourbon Sugar Mint said...

Those are so pretty and fun! I remember making tons of those in elementary school, it was the only arts and crafts thing I could do and I would make them all the time, even during spring, haha. -- isabel

Raquel Quesada said...

I love it!!! good idea!!
thanks

Raquel
http://raquelquesada.com/blog/

Jenfier Harrod said...

These are really great! I'm sure I will have one family member or more that will try this!
www.storieswithzach.blogspot.com

DIY Addict said...

this is soo cool and fun!!! i got to try it.

Coley said...

This brings back the good old days of making snowflakes at school. Priceless :)

Heidi said...

Wow - and I considered myself good at making paper flakes. Yours are truly beautiful... and soon to be copied!

Dragonfly Treasure said...

Grabbing paper as I type!
*hugs*deb

Oops-Lah said...

Lovely! And great tutorial. Many thanks.

lewisinlove.com said...

This is a great tutorial. Thank you so much for sharing!!!!

taswann said...

My kids went ga-ga when they saw this post. I just did a round up of snowflake posts on my blog. I can't wait to grab the scissors, get cutting and cover the walls. Thanks for the great tutorial!

Judy Boyd said...

Thanks a bunch for the great tutorial on how to make a flake!! ha ha Your directions and pictures were soooooo easy to understand.

Alisha said...

Love it! What a great tutorial. Thanks for sharing!

Deb said...

Thank you for sharing! You made it so clear and easy to understand!!

Jilly said...

just spent ages making some coloured ones to go on my gift wrap, over brown paper. Thanks for making it so easy to understand! :)

skye @ neathering our fest said...

Awesome! :) This will give me something to do at work today!

Heidi Perez said...

I've seen that first picture all over pinterest, but didn't realize it came from you! They're awesome, by the way.

lucychili said...

well explained =)

fina fento said...

I like the last one!

grandmascroller said...

we love all of them,, but I am really dumb. Are there patterns for these and if so where can I get these. We would love to cut some

liz @ bon temps beignet said...

@grandmascoller you can find tons of patterns through Google searches and on Pinterest. Here's a good one: http://pinterest.com/pin/282178732873434680/

The Jones's said...

Thanks for this tutorial! My children will be able to feel your pain as they get older seeing as my daughter's birthday is the 30th of November, and my son was born on Christmas day.

C said...

Making some right now as I listen to some Christmas music! Thank you!

jessica moore said...

These are so fun! Thanks for sharing. I'm a fellow Louisiana girl and I found your blog through Ann Voskamp... who's in Cananda! I thought that was funny ;o) The kids and I are about to make some snowflakes!

Grammasheri said...

I'm a gramma but may I make some too? I wonder if I ironed freezer paper on fabric, perhaps I could make some...hmmmm.

Yvonne said...

Wow, these are amazing. We made some snowflakes to stick on the window but they are very plain compared to these. The kids and I will definitely have to make some of these. Thank you so much for the very clear instructions. Yvonne x

thefisherlady said...

really perfect... will be making these with school kids in a few weeks! Thank you

Lesa said...

WOW! FABULOUS tutorial! I tried making them in a similar way from another pin I had come across before Christmas but your step by step photos are SUPER helpful! I think we'll try again because they loved it but many of them had a hard time! THANK YOU!

Ann said...

I found this on Pinterest...what a terrific pos! I actually sat at my computer and made a snowflake! Thanks so much and I can't wait to show the grandbabies!

Patience Worth said...

Excellent directions. As a retired teacher, I wish you had noted that the second & third folds make thirds. In the 90s, I folded tissue wrapping paper and had my preschool class draw on designs and cut. This size of paper made huge flakes which were thin enough for four year olds to cut independently. I used spray glue, and had the children sprinkle the flakes with clear glitter, which added strength to the paper. They were beautiful hanging on the windows, and were sturdy enough to go home before Christmas.

Patience Worth said...

Excellent directions. As a retired teacher, I wish you had noted that the second & third folds make thirds. In the 90s, I folded tissue wrapping paper and had my preschool class draw on designs and cut. This size of paper made huge flakes which were thin enough for four year olds to cut independently. I used spray glue, and had the children sprinkle the flakes with clear glitter, which added strength to the paper. They were beautiful hanging on the windows, and were sturdy enough to go home before Christmas.

Patience Worth said...

Excellent directions. As a retired teacher, I wish you had noted that the second & third folds make thirds. In the 90s, I folded tissue wrapping paper and had my preschool class draw on designs and cut. This size of paper made huge flakes which were thin enough for four year olds to cut independently. I used spray glue, and had the children sprinkle the flakes with clear glitter, which added strength to the paper. They were beautiful hanging on the windows, and were sturdy enough to go home before Christmas.

Sue Dunbar said...

I love that you show the cuts before it is unfolded. So clear! This was the only thing I was ever good at in elementary school, and these are way better. My birthday is 12/9 and I have had a few birthday presents wrapped in Christmas paper along the way. THANKS!

alaa nile said...

شركة كشف تسربات
شركة نقل عفش بجدة
شركة عزل خزانات
شركات العزل الحراري
طبيب بالون المعدة
شركة مكافحة البق
شركة كشف تسربات بالرياض
شركة تنظيف مسابح بالمدينة المنورة
شركة عزل خزانات بجدة
شركة نظافة فلل بالرياض
شركة تنظيف منازل بالرياض
نقل رش مبيدات بالرياض
اثاث مستعمل في الرياض
افضل شركة لعزل الابوكسي للخزانات
شركة تنظيف مجالس بالخرج


BlackKitty said...

Beautiful designs! I make them every year, but my favourite material is aluminium foil from candy wrappers. It's easier to cut than paper. To flatten them nicely, I open them as much as I can (carefully, they tear like crazy), put them inside a folded piece of paper and press with something smooth and round like wide scotch tape or a marker.

Mouhamed Adawi said...

شركة تسليك مجارى بالجبيل
شركة تسليك مجارى بالاحساء
شركة تنظيف بالجبيل
شركة تنظيف بالعيون
شركة تنظيف بالهفوف
شركة تنظيف خزانات بالدمام
شركة تنظيف شقق بالدمام
شركة تنظيف فلل بالدمام
شركة تنظيف مجالس بالدمام
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالاحساء
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالجبيل
شركة تنظيف بالدمام
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالدمام
شركة رش مبيدات بالدمام
شركة تسليك مجارى بالدمام

Mouhamed Adawi said...

شركة تسليك مجارى بالجبيل
شركة تسليك مجارى بالاحساء
شركة تنظيف بالجبيل
شركة تنظيف بالعيون
شركة تنظيف بالهفوف
شركة تنظيف خزانات بالدمام
شركة تنظيف شقق بالدمام
شركة تنظيف فلل بالدمام
شركة تنظيف مجالس بالدمام
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالاحساء
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالجبيل
شركة تنظيف بالدمام
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالدمام
شركة رش مبيدات بالدمام
شركة تسليك مجارى بالدمام